Since being established in 1954, the Crystal Spring School has been housed in three different buildings. The very first school was an old Eaton’s mail-order farmhouse which the colony converted into a one-room school house.
The second building, was a one-room school until a U-shaped addition added a second room in 1974-75 Students attended K-5, and 6-8 English and German classes in the two classrooms.
The present day school was constructed in 1992 and was one of the first K-12 schools on a Hutterite Colony.
When Crystal Spring School was first established in 1954, students only attended classes until grade 8. However, when Crystal Spring built a new school in 1992, the decision was made to offer a K-12 program. To help accommodate the increased teaching load, many of the courses were taken via Distance Education – Teacher Mediated, and IITV. The drive for higher education came about largely because Crystal Spring Colony was changing from a largely farming community to manufacturing community.
Today teaching and learning at Crystal Spring is about meeting the challenges which tomorrow’s world will bring while at the same time learning to appreciate and value the lessons of the past. As we live in a world that is constantly changing and shrinking due to the incredible spread of technology, we hope to provide our students with the skills and knowledge they will need to face whatever the future may hold in store for them.